Sunday, October 9, 2011

Halloween Fun! Part ONE

I love Halloween, and so my family and friends and animals often patiently indulge my halloweenie activities. Today it was Gobie's turn!

First, a Treat!
We had just been to Larriland Farm for apple picking and pumpkins, so I was sure to share the wealth. I dropped an apple in a felt pumpkin bucket and enticed Gobie over.

Poor unsuspecting bucket.

Gobie made quick work of knocking the little bucket over and it rolled down the stairs of the mounting block leaving the apple on the top step.

You missed the goodie!

But that apple seeking muzzle soon found the tasty morsel and Gobie started noshing away on it. He took it all in one bite, and as he chewed it apple sauce got everywhere!

Delicious!

He very clearly enjoyed the apple, though I had to watch him carefully to make sure he didn't choke on it. It was pretty small. He got juice all over the bucket, checking it once again for more apples!


Bat Ears and Pumpkin Garland
Technically I can claim this was all in the name of our desensitization efforts! But in all honesty, I just wanted to dress up my pony in some Halloween inspired garb.

Bat ears.

Gobie barely noticed when I put a headband with bat ears on him. As far as he was probably concerned, it was just a funny feeling halter piece. He's very good about me messing with his ears, and yielding to pressure on his poll (that's the part between his ears on the top of his head).

The garland was a more elaborate process. It was a pretty long length of plastic-like black garland with reflective orange jack-o-lantern faces. It made a rustling noise when you would touch or move it, and in the sun the orange pumpkins glittered and reflected colored light all over the place.

Step one was letting him sniff and check out the garland.

Using his nose to check out this scary stuff.

Step two was having the garland making a little noise, by shaking it around, letting it move and drape as it would naturally. At this point he started moving away from it, but wasn't running or in a panic or anything. You can see his ears are point to the origin of the noise, but his nose and his eyes are on me.

Not crazy about it, but being very good.

Step three--once he was looking to me about what do with this noisy, glittery thing--was stopping all that noise. He was totally at easy by this point. I untangled the garland and draped it over his withers.

Calm and interested in what I'm doing with that silly stuff.

Draping the garland over his withers. No big deal! 

Once it was over his withers I brought it up by his ears and over his head. Starting with the withers is a good idea because it's an area horses aren't very protective of. It's the spot where other horses mutually groom each other, and one of the first spots where people start petting them. The ears, for a lot of horses, is an area that's sensitive and they can be protective about. Horses that are "head shy" raise their head out of reach whenever you try to touch their ears, which can be a problem when you try to put a halter or bridle on. Gobie doesn't have those reservations!

Garland on his head. Good boy!

I also loosely looped the garland around his neck, like a horse wearing a rose wreath after winning a race. I think he actually started to fall asleep a little.

You win at Halloween!

I was very proud of his good behavior. After all, it's nice to have a friend who will dress up with you for Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. After seeing Gobie chomping that apple, I had to go look at Locksley enjoying some too. Eating an apple is very serious business apparently. Our yard possum, Rodney McKay, likes them, too, but always leaves the skin behind.

    Checking out the garland gave him a bit of a whale-eye. Wouldn't it be fun if animals could talk? Wonder what he'd say about all this interesting new stuff he gets to do with you.

    It's such fun to check out your blogs and enjoy the pictures. Plus, I learn a lot of new things, especially about horses. I always wanted a horse when I was a kid. My mom said the closest I'd probably ever get was cowboy boots. But she said I couldn't get any until my feet stopped growing. Consequently, I'm still waiting.

    You're so happy and proud and have a wonderful life. So glad I get to share some of it from afar!

    ReplyDelete