Saturday, October 15, 2011

Changes

Have I mentioned that October is a super busy month? Even so, visiting Gobie at least once a week takes priority. This weekend was a big event at work, though, so the visit was brief. But it was more than enough time to scope out all the changes going on at the barn. Coming up the drive way was like traveling down the yellow brick road--the pine trees lining the drive have all been dropping bright yellow needles that carpet the path.

Amongst the needles, I spotted this wooly bear caterpillar:

Heralding a milder winter. 

There were lots of crow around in the fields, too. It had rained pretty good up in Marriotsville, and I think they were taking advantage of the moist ground and bugs. I walked down to visit Kahlua's grave where Rose had planted some yellow mums and made a protective barrier around the plant to ward off nosy horses.

Peaceful. 

Gobie and the rest of the horses were in the side paddock. I was a little cautious about going in with them because the new horses was there. I didn't think he was a troublemaker or anything, but the social dynamic of a herd always changes when there's a new kid. Never the less, I squeezed in between the fence boards and gave Gobie a hand grooming. The first thing I noticed was those crazy yellow pine needles caught in his mane like some witchy hair accessory.

Augmenting his highlights, don't you think?

I brushed over his back and withers and legs with my hand, unsettling the dust but he was otherwise pretty clean. I started tussling his mane again and that's why I found this:


Ouch! 

If you can't tell, there's what looks like a big scrape that runs perpendicular along his mane above his withers. The hair was all gone and the skin was dry and wrinkly but otherwise pretty healthy, or at least healing pretty well. He didn't have it last weekend, so it couldn't have been too old.


Of course, bites and kicks and scrapes are kind of par for the course when it comes to horses hashing out the herd pecking order. Bonnie had already given me the heads up that Gobie was jealously protecting Honey from the new horse, so it wasn't too surprising. The new guy had quite a few more nicks than Gobie. I hope they sort everything out between each other soon, and start acting more polite!


It was around feeding time so Bonnie came out and asked that I lead Gobie to one of the other paddocks while she got ready to give the gang their grain. I took him out of the side paddock and walked him across that pine needled driveway. He was a little nervous about the whole thing, but he minded his manners quite well and soon he was in the other area.

Feeding went on without a hitch. After Honey finished the grain her her bucket, she went over to socialize with the new horse.

Fraternizing.

The new horse is about Gobie's age, and a cremello Mountain Horse gelding. He's white haired and pink skinned with blue eyes. His name is Boo Boo. Pretty appropriate for Halloween I think--looking a little like Casper!

According to Bonnie, Boo Boo was picked on at his previous barn, too. We wondered if it was his name ("Boo Boo? of course he's picked on!" "Boo Boo, after all the boo boos he gets?") but I think it might be because of his unique coloring.

After everyone ate their grain (plus some treats and supplements for Gobie) Bonnie asked me to guide Honey and Gobie to another paddock so she could move in Boo Boo, Cinder and Bo. All I had to do was walk along the fence by Gobie, down to where I wanted them to go. "He really likes you!" she said. Aw, shucks!

With everyone in their happy field, the gang all settled down for a good nosh on some hay.

Boo Boo and arch nemesis, Gobie.

Before I left, though Gobie came back up to the fence for one more treat.

Naughty, but still handsome.

No comments:

Post a Comment