Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What's in a name?

I've been thinking about calling Gobie something else. I know! This is kind of controversial. It's a hard decision to make because on the one hand he's been "Gobie" at the rescue for years and that's what I've known him as for months. On the other hand, this is a new chapter in his life. And, from a superficial stand point his name makes me think of two things:


Neither of which I feel particularly tied to!

So in the spirit of that I've created a poll including potential names that you can vote on. Also feel free to submit suggestions in the comments. Here they are:

Gobie
That's right! One of the options is to keep his name as Gobie.

Ash, Smokey or Punk
These names are all homages to my first horse, Cinder. They are all names related to smoldering fires just like Cinder was. Ash and Smoke as pretty self explanatory. Punk is defined as: as substance that will smolder and can be used to light fireworks, fuses, etc. Plus, I'm sure he will be a bit of a punk :)

Gotham or Salem
Whenever I have something to name, I always turn to names of place. It started when my sister named her dog Melbourne after a trip to Australia. Gotham would be after my favorite comic locale, and Salem would be after my honeymoon destination. I also think "Gobie" could be a nickname version of Gotham (a stretch, I know...)

Nottingham
This is also the name of a place, but it's also related to my dog's name, Locksley. Themes! I think it could be also shortened to Notti (sounds like: naughty) which is kind of cute.

Pan, Pipkin and Skelly
Pan would be after Peter. Pipkin and Skelly (or Skelton) would be after a character in Ray Bradbury's Halloween Tree. Literary themes!

Let me know what you think--I'd love your help!

11 comments:

  1. I vote to stay as Gobie - or Salem, possibly Nottingham or Gotham. Not Smokey (mostly because I always think of Smoke and also I think Gobie should have something that reflects his color, because he has one of the most beautiful colors of any of our horses, and Smokey doesn't really fit that to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he looks like a Salem. Nottingham sounds too snobby, like an upper-class British horse (even though Robin Hood stole from the rich, if you just hear the name on its own, it sounds very highfalutin). The name Gobie seriously reminds me of a fish, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly do love the name "Salem." Two syllables. Fun to say. I agree above, he looks like a Salem. And the connection to your honeymoon is supercutes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted! Here is my reason.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Williams

    I also suggest Ichabod, Bones, and Christian Bale of Hay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...this is a tough one! Do you know the story behind how he became Gobie? That might help knowing why he was named Gobie to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy--I don't know the story, but maybe Chris does? I think she's the one that told me he was Gobie after the desert and not the fish...

    Molly, I had thought of Ichabod but Icky as a short name seems kind of mean ;) Also, I died laughing at Christian Bale of Hay. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think 'Christian Bale of Hay' is best! :-P

    If Mr. Gobie knows himself as Gobie, then you might pick something that can be shortened to "Gobie," or something that rhymes with it, like, I don't know, Tobie? Tobias?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, after much thinking, I voted to keep his name. Gabby and Daisy came with their names, and the funny thing is, Gabby had a name tag on when she came that said Daisy, so for the first few days we were calling her Daisy... and then once we talked to their former owners, we found out the collars got mixed up, so we corrected the names...and to this day I still want to call Gabby Daisy. My point--it is hard to change names once you are used to one name. But whatever you decide, I'm sure he'll love you just the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FYI--Chris reports that Gobie came to the rescue with his name. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. June, Dean wants me to tell you that he thinks you should name him Gobadiah (Gobie for short). It's like Obadiah, as in Obadiah Stane, Iron Man's nemesis played by Jeff Bridges. :)

    ReplyDelete