Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hanging out by the pine trees

It was really quiet at the barn today, unless you count the crows. There weren't any other people around, so I guess the crows that live in the pine trees around Bonnie's place felt they should be vocal about it when I showed up. Even the corgis were enjoying the air conditioning inside. Actually, besides the horses, my only other pal at the barn was one of Bonnie's old cats.

Adorbs!

I took the time to wander around the place. On Bonnie's six acres there are several fenced off areas and run-in sheds. I visited the one attached to the tackroom first and spotted a big snake skin dangling from the rafters.

Wonder what the crows think about this?

I made my way to the two big back paddocks. They're sort of cut into a back third paddock by a pine tree line, sort of a natural fenceline. I wandered beyond the trees and checked out the two sheds back there.


It was really peaceful under all those pine trees. There's something about a carpet of pine needles on the ground that makes everything seem quiet and secret.


The horses must think so too, because they were spending a lot of time by the treeline.

I'm sure the shade had something to do with it.

It seemed like a good idea, so after Gobie and I did a little work in the field, I joined the horses down by the trees. I sat down on the ground several feet away from the group and just hung out and watched. It's nice to just be in nature, with the sounds of the woods and your thoughts.

Gobie, snoozing the the shade beneath a pine tree.

Honey and Kahlua and Cinder and Bo all were really relaxed and seemingly unconcerned with me just hanging out near them. Everyone's heads were low, and most of them had one back hoof tilted back in repose.

Gobie relaxin'.

My favorite part, though, was when Gobie meandered over for a visit. I didn't want him too close--I was sitting down cross-legged on the ground, after all, which is kind of a compromising position. But he just came over to say hi, and then moved back to the grass and his friends when I told him to leave me alone :)



Such a great relaxing and productive day. I've got a good little pony on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment