Sunday, July 1, 2012

Derecho... whatever that means!

We're having a "heat wave" which really just means everyone is being reminded of how gross our summers are after a pretty mercifully cool month of June. However, the meeting of hot and cold weather fronts culminated this weekend in a severe storm called a derecho. I didn't get a call from Bonnie, so I figured the horses and everything else were alright. I had just been out on Friday for a farrier visit, but I figured I would brave the ridiculous temperatures and go out Sunday too. I knew something was up when I saw two vans working on a power pole a bit down the road. As I drove up the driveway I noticed houses with their windows. Not a great sign... their power was obviously out, and they were trying to get some air conditioning au naturale. Then there was this:


Branches EVERYWHERE and a few downed trees--including one laying over some power lines. Fortunately Bonnie had a generator. I went to check on the horses who were all at the bottom of the hill under the shed. Everyone looked fine, and thoroughly unconcerned.


There weren't any crazy branches down in their area, thank goodness. The paddock next to them looked a bit crazy, but no major damage. The rest of the visit was pretty laid back. It was a million degrees so it was nice to hang out under the cool of the trees.


Mysteriously the horses felt like standing in the hot sun after a while.


I took that as my cue to leave, after staying some goodbyes to my handsome pony.


No comments:

Post a Comment