Saturday, June 23, 2012

New Developments!

We are getting a bit of Maryland Summer, finally, and by that I mean heat and humidity and a bit of storminess.

Sun-pinked nose.

The most important development, though, is that I finally got a saddle and a pad for my purposes. They are, in fact, the same kind of saddle and pad I had previously: a black Wintec Semi-Quarter Western Trail Saddle, and a Professional's Choice Roper Elite Pad.


The saddle is really light, which can be appreciated by horse and rider alike. And the pad is flexible enough that it gives and fills out as need--making an excellent cushion between horse and saddle.

We started by doing a little general desensitization: the plastic bag on the end of the short whip. He needed a bit of a refresher--and I think it was partly because he was remembering this was the spot where he had his bath--but he pretty quickly recalled that he should look to me when scary things were going on.

After, he was introduced to the saddle pad. He was interested in sniffing it--new and right out of the box I'm sure it smelled a bit weird.

Checking it out.

He didn't balk, try to run, or even flinch when I tossed the saddle pad on him. I patted on it, wiggled it around, and so on and he remained entirely unimpressed by it.

No big deal, lady.

We also did a bit of lunging around with the pad on--just at a walk so it didn't fall off. He was unconcerned by moving with this thing on him.

Next was being introduced to the saddle. This also got a thorough sniff, and a muzzle search-over.

Whaaat.

Same thing, with the pad--I tossed the saddle on with absolutely fanfare or reaction from Gobie. He wasn't oblivious to it being there, he just didn't seemed bothered by it at all. And, true to form, he was more interested in where the next treat was coming from.

Hey, I think you left the treats by the fence.

I didn't cinch up the girth or anything this go around--I figured I'd keep it short and sweet. The majority of our work today--for the most part unphotographed--was lunging. After all, before you hop on a horse it's handy if he knows cues for walk, trot, and "whoa" at the very least.

This is something we've been working on for a while and I'm happy to say Gobie and I have both gotten loads better at it. I haven't gotten better at trying to simultaneously lunge and video it:


But, you get the idea, I think! Today we did a lot of walking and trotting on both sides, with some pretty stellar switching over. His whoa could use a bit of work, but since this was all in a halter with voice commands I think we're doing really well.

The flies, you may be able to tell, were out in full force. I put some swat along his legs before we began which seemed to help a lot. You may also be able to tell that Gobie's looking pretty FAT, too. Hopefully more work means a more trim and healthy pony!


After our good work I turned Gobie back out with his friends and he ran down the hill to the pine trees to greet them. I hung out with the whole gang in the shade for a little while before going home. After all, a little socializing after work never hurt anybody.

1 comment:

  1. June...I always love reading your posts, no matter which blog, but especially the ones here. I've got that long-ago-wished-for pony now, even if only vicariously. Gobie looks quite dashing in his new gear! And, oh yes, I'm always more interested in where the next treat is coming from, too!

    ReplyDelete