Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ice has nothing on my naughty pony

It snowed Saturday and while it wasn't a ton it did ice over pretty well. It made for crunchy and slippery walking. The forecast for today called for more wintery precipitation, but I wanted to see how my pony was faring so I drove out anyway. The roads were pretty good, until I got to Bonnie's driveway which was a little dicey. But the horses all looked cozy in the field. Gobie came right up to the gate to be let in to the work area. I was surprised, but pleased to see how deftly he seemed to be managing the snow and ice.

Steady feet.

The other horses wear blankets, but not Gobie. His coat is plenty bushy to keep him warm. However, I did spot an icicle hanging from his mane!


The spot on his shoulder and neck where he had been rubbing hasn't gotten any better. I'm not sure what's going on with it but I'll have to put something anti-itch on it I think. I'm a little worried that the ointment would make him a bit cold, though, and ointment wouldn't really fix whatever the root cause of the thing is.

Despite that one worrying spot, Gobie seemed to be in a frisky mood. In the work area I made a bucket of food for him--the supplements, and some black oil sunflower seeds. I gave him a good brushing to help his hair stand up and get some muddy bits off. A couple of treats later, it was back to the field with the rest of the gang.


The sound of the horses crunching around on the icy snow was pretty impressive--it echoed through the trees. You could also hear the crunching in the woods--maybe deer? It caught the horses on alert for sure.

Bonnie came out to say hi. We chatted a bit out the weather, how the horses were doing, and the farrier visit scheduled for Monday (which may be rained out!) She tossed in a few flakes of hay for the horses, and they charged up to the fence to eat.


I managed to get a pretty entertaining video of the horses romping around in the snow, including some pretty fancy moves from that naughty pony of mine.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, what did he think he was kicking at? Is Gobie the head honcho out there now? :)

    ReplyDelete