Monday, January 16, 2012

Freezing and here to stay?

We've been having crazy weather this winter--50s some days, in the 20s the next. This weekend was particularly cold. Even though the reports claimed today would be the warmest out of the long weekend, it certainly didn't feel that way.

Perhaps speaking to the cruelty of the cold (or perhaps the adeptness of the barn cats!) there was a foreboding sign right as I stepped out of my car.

aww. 

It's a shrew (I think) and I don't know if the poor thing met its end before or after it froze, but I could believe such a small critter could freeze to death in this weather. There were even some crows perched in a tree not too far up, and while they usually would fly off at the smallest indication of my interest in them, I think it was too cold for them to even bother. In fact, they let me watch them for several minutes, as they made cute croaking sounds to each other.


The horses looked pretty cozy, though. Or at the very least they didn't seem to mind the cold as much as the rest of us.

Standing the in sun helps. 

I went out into the paddock to give Gobie some love, even though he was perfectly willing to come greet me at the fence line. I didn't want to take him away from his hay, since all that eating and digestion helps keep a pony warm. He was looking pretty good, if not a little muddy, but it was nothing that a good hand brushing couldn't cure.

He did come closer to the fence after I left him to go pull together some vitamins and seeds. I gave him his bucket through the fence, and he made quick work of the token food.

Noms, and frozen puddles.

He also took the opportunity to have a drink from the trough. It was heated, or else the water would have been frozen. It made me really grateful that Bonnie had heaters for the tank. Horses don't like drinking cold water in the winter, so something to keep it from getting frozen and to have be more palatable is fantastic.


Sluuurp.

I hope Spring hurries up! The fickleness of this weather has totally spoiled me and this cold snap is totally lame.

PS, we also payed Gobie a visit last weekend but it was pretty short, sweet, and unbloggable!

No comments:

Post a Comment