Saturday, July 9, 2011

Punk or Prince?

It was a quick visit to the horses today since 1) we ended up dog-sitting Carmen this weekend 2) it was hot! I don't know why but I always managed to go out to the barn at the hottest point of the day. Okay--I DO know why--leisurely breakfast. ha!

It was a good visit anyway. I wanted to see how his feet were doing since it's been dry and they've been kind of crumby. But I'm happy to report, they're looking great!

Front
...and back.

He and the rest of the gang were out in the back pastures so I just decided to give him a comb and a brush out there. He was good about it as usual, but then there isn't much that's disagreeable when it comes to getting groomed. I've been working on getting him to be polite about treats, since he can be push. I don't mind that--I actually like my horse to be a little bit "handsy" if you will. Equal measures Punk and Prince! The way I've been doing it is, when he starts the shake-down for treats I dissuade him until he waits politely, with the trigger "Be polite". Then he gets the treat. It's a new thing, but he's getting the hang of it.

All the same, here's an amusing photo:


I don't know if you can see it, but on my forearm there is a dirt spot kind of in the shape of a crescent. If you look extra careful you might be able to make out two outer lines and an inner line. It's important to note that it's not a bruise, it's just dirt and, well, slobber...because it was made by Gobies teeth! That's right. During our treat tomfoolery he put his teeth on me. I've always been impressed with how dexterous he is with his muzzle while searching someone for a treat and this is just proof to me at how deliberate he is with NOT hurting someone when he's looking for treats. Is he a bit of a Punk when he's trying to get his tastey snack? Sure. But he really is a Prince--he's not being mean about it, or else he'd bite you. All the same, I think our treat training will make everyone--especially guests who don't appreciate a Punk--happier.

Anyway, I spent some of the time walking about the paddock under the pine trees where it was cooler. There's quite a lot of woods around the property and, I noticed, what appeared to be some kind of trail.


I remember taking some of the yearlings on walks down the trails in Washington. It was always a bit of a trial. You never knew what they would spook at, or how many times they'd want to stop and eat grass and not budge, or conversely, want to take off. This trail looks like a perfect candidate for doing a little bit of a walkabout.

While I was wandering around Gobie and Honey came down to check things out, too. It's nice being sought out for company. I gave him a little itch on the shoulder and he gave me a little reciprocal grooming behind the ear. And then they tromped off!


As far as company goes, I'm still no match for Honey. It's pretty funny to watch them walking around together since Gobie's much shrimpier than her.

She likes them short and Punky, I bet.

But they don't seem to mind when I'm around, and Gobie still likes me enough to seek me out of his own. I haven't quite figured out Honey yet--in contrast to Gobie she's pretty reserved--and I haven't tried doing anything close to round penning with Gobie since I determined the work area was too big for it. It was such a big part of my routine in the past that it feels weird to do with out. Even so, I think we're doing okay.


I'm looking forward to the end of the month. I've got a week's work of vacation and while we are planning on going out of town for a day or two I'm hoping to get a lot of barn time in besides.

No comments:

Post a Comment