Friday, December 23, 2011

Chilly Visitor

Last weekend I missed going to the pony all together because I was building a feral cat shelter. But I got to visit today, and hopefully will be able to get in another visit or two before this holiday vacation is over. Speaking of the holiday, things were cold and festive as always at the barn.


I always forget that it's like ten degrees colder at the pony than it is where I live. It's not that far away, and I don't think the elevation changes that much, but wouldn't you know it my fingers are always freeeezing in a couple of minute. I spent the time mostly just leaning over the fence, playing with Gobie and warming my hands up in his fur. He was pretty muddy, but looked comfortable.


I love how he looks so silvery and velvety this time of year. We hung out for a long time just messing with each other over the fence. It's nice to know when a horse appreciates your company. I even played with his ears a little bit. He didn't protest one bit.


Of course, he was pretty busy shaking me down for treats. At one point he had his fuzzy muzzle pressed to my face. But most of the time, he was busy slobbering on my coat trying to figure out how to get into my pockets and find those peppermints.


This is also how I get pony snot on my coat. I thought he had a little bit of a runny nose the last time I saw him, but there was nothing going on this visit. Good! He's always been a sturdy pony which I appreciate. None the less, I had brought with me one of his Christmas presents: a multivitamin in grain form. I figure it wouldn't hurt to give him a little extra help in the colder months. Plus I knew he'd like having another thing to eat. I mixed it with a little black oil sunflower seeds and let him have a nibble.


On a non-horse related note, the horse farm was busy with wildlife today! First on my slow roll into the driveway there was a hawk perched on the fence. It was really close and right at my line of vision. We just kind of looked at each other as I rolled by. The Second was a visitor to the treeline:


In case you can't spot him, he's circled in purple here:


It's a red fox! Bonnie had mentioned that she sees them sometimes, but this was my first encounter. He was well away from the horses who were all standing up near the house by the fence line. He was trotting along under the trees, looking purposeful. His coat blended in so well with the color of the pine needles on the ground, I probably never would have seen him if he wasn't moving. He didn't stay very long, but it was a rare and wonderful treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment