Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hurricane and Family

Recently Hurricane Irene came up the coast scaring everyone silly. Fortunately we're far enough in-land that it wasn't much of a problem. Bonnie said the horses handled it no sweat, and that it was just a bit of wind and rain as far as they were concerned.

This weekend my family was in town and my sister came up to meet Gobie. It looked like Bonnie was out for a ride with Honey, and Gobie was in a little bit of a tizzy. He saw us and came right over to the fence. I let him in to the work area and had Jan and Sam each give him a treat.

A kiss for a treat? Something tells me Jan's not in to it.

After the cuddly bit, we showed off some of the training that we've been working on. I noticed that he had a scrape on his left foreleg so a little grooming and big of doctoring was in order. I sprayed a bit of fly spray on him which he tolerated pretty well. And then we showed off his other de-spooking talents with the plastic bag on the end of the dressage whip. We also did some leading around, and yielding exercises. The lunging he didn't do so hot with, but to be fair it was short lead line and it was hot out. Sam I think was pretty impressed, since he knows how far Gobie has come since we got him in April.

After all of that, it was time for some food! So I went in the tack room to mix his black oil sunflower seeds, supplements, and a smidge of grain.

Being nosey!

I had him stand politely before I gave him the bucket of food but he still oinked it right up.

Om nom nom.

It was pretty hot out so after he finished his food I turned him back out with the rest of the gang. He seemed much more settled than when we got there though I'm sure he was super excited to see Honey all the same when she got back. We weren't there for the reunion, though because we had to get Jan back to the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment